A One-Stop Source for Second Dwelling Units’ Design and Construction Needs
Do you need a second dwelling unit (SDU)? BSD Construction offers comprehensive, reliable SDU services that take updated laws and regulations into consideration.
Having worked in the construction industry for more than 3 decades, we specialize in the planning, design and construction of second dwelling units in Van Nuys.
SDUs are an affordable, smart solution to the housing crisis. Coupled with offering extra housing space to families, SDU can help property owners obtain an extra source of income.
We keep up-to-date with the laws and regulations
Building SDUs entail careful planning and preparation.
If you’re interested in building an SDU in your home, it’s imperative that you consider the following building regulations:
- SDUs are permitted on any lot zone for single or multi-family use that has an existing single-family dwelling.
- Detached SDUs should not be more than 1,200 square feet.
- Attached SDUs should not exceed 50 percent of existing living area. This excludes the garage.
- No passageways shall be included together with the building of an SDU. Detached SDUs are considered an accessory building. Hence, they must adhere to the setback requirements mentioned in LAMC 12.21 C.5.
- With regard to newly built SDUs above a garage, setbacks from the side and rear lot lines shall be the lesser of such setbacks as require by the Zonal Code.
- When a garage, covered parking area or carport is demolished, in conjunction with the building of an SDU, the replacement parking spaces may be located in any configuration on the same lot as the SDU. This includes, but is not limited to, uncovered spaces, tandem spaces, required setback spaces or by using mechanical automobile parking lifts.
In specific cases, parking may not be required for an SDU. This includes the following:
- If it is located within one-half mile of public transit
- If it is located within an important historic district
- If it is part of the existing primary residence
In addition, a residential space can be converted into a second dwelling unit if it meets the following criteria:
- SDUs have an independent exterior access
- No extra floor area is added to the structure
- The structure complies with all the necessary building and fire safety standards
Whether you want to build a new SDU or convert your space into one, you can rely on us for all your needs. We can help you build an appropriate SDU on schedule and within your budget.